Hi Folks, again
My other part of the assignment is
for the following Presidential Administration:
1865-1877 Andrew Johnson (1865-1869) & Ulysses S. Grant (1869-1877)
1877-1889 Rutherford B. Hayes (1877-1881) , James A. Garfield (1881) , Chester A. Arthur (1881-1884) , Grover Cleveland (1885-1889)
1889-1901 Benjamin Harrison (1889-1893)
I have to do the following: presidential administrations, important events and people and themes.
For ex: ADMINISTRATION: George Washington (1789-1797)
SIGNIFICANT INDIVIDUALS: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Alexander Hamilton, John Jay, Thomas Pinckney,
MAJOR THEMES: 1. The rivalry over various policy issues between Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson.
2. The creation of the first political parties. (The Federalists and the Democratic Republicans)
1. George Washington elected as the first President under the new Constitution.
2. The Judiciary Act (1789) established the Supreme Court and the federal court system.
3. The appointment of the first cabinet under President Washington. The idea of a cabinet is not mentioned in the Constitution. Membership in the first cabinet included Thomas Jefferson-Secretary of State, Alexander Hamilton-Secretary of the Treasury, Edmund Randolph-Attorney General, Henry Knox-Secretary of War.
4. The proposal and passage of the Bill of Rights. (1791) The first ten amendments to the US Constitution were proposed and written by James Madison.
5. The Assumption Plan (1791) or Hamilton’s financial program was proposed by Alexander Hamilton. The main points of Hamilton’s program was:
a. The Federal government would assume all governmental debts from the Revolutionary War.
b. The creation of a US Bank to give the US financial stability
c. The passage of higher tariffs to support industry.
Criticism of Hamilton’s program:
a. The program would benefit the wealthy.
b. The Congress does not have the power to create a US Bank.
c. The tariff should be lower than the one proposed by Hamilton.
a. Hamilton’s program would be accepted as long as a new capital is built on the site now known as Washington DC.
6. Hamilton proposes a whiskey tax (1794) to help pay off revolutionary war debts.
7. In W. Pennsylvania farmers refuse to pay the whiskey tax and resident Washington creates an army to put down the nascent rebellion. (1795)
8. George Washington’s farewell address (1797)- In Washington’s final address he made the following points:
a. US should not get involved in any permanent foreign alliances.
b. US should not get involved in European affairs.
c. Americans should not form political parties
d. Americans should avoid sectionalism.
9. Washington begins the presidential tradition of serving two terms. This tradition ends when Franklin Roosevelt is elected to a third term in 1940. The 22nd amendment to the Constitution limits the president to two elected terms.
MY TEACHER IS KILLING US!! HE SAID IT WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL FOR THE AP US HISTORY EXAM.. HE SAID TO ASK THE EXPERTS ON THIS PROBLEM
Please help me out, I'm crying :(