Gitmo. What do you think? Good policy or bad policy?
I'll go ahead and kick it off.
Bad policy for the following reasons:
1. Increases anti-American sentiment- Clearly, the WOT and GITMO has increased anti-American sentiment around the world. Terrorist attacks in Iraq everyday, and even protestors in the US that don't like the policy.
2. Hurts US credibility- The US is one of the nations that created the Geneva Convention to stop these kind of wartime violations. It sets up a bad example for the rest of the world since the US has somesort of leadership qualities still. If it is okay for the US to torture their POW's, why can't we torture US prisoners??
3. Hurts the WOT- Besides the increases in attacks, we aren't getting viable information from these prisoners. It has been proven that torture does not yield good results or information.
4. Torturing peole is bad- Obviously, torturing someone alone is bad enough, and that alone should be reason enough to shut GITMO down.
5. Shipping prisoners out- The extent of the torture is not happening uniquely in the US, but occurs in Syria, Iraq, and a lot of other nations. The US finds it to be okay just to send off their prisoners to other countires where torture policies are much more lax, and have prisoners tortured there.
*Note: Spelling is not my forte.